Re: RBL quandry - opinions hereby solicited

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Tue Nov 17 09:27:40 1998

> Well, unfortunately, although I don't like the mailings, they *can* claim
> the "existing business relationship". It would be nice, as I've already
> mentioned, if they'd let people opt-in when they registered a domain.

	I've seen the "existing business relationship" used in several new
laws and AUP's.  What I'm wondering is if anyone has a feel for how far this
goes.  Let me give some examples:

1) I buy a general electric light bulb, can they now spam me to buy a locomotive?

2) I buy a circuit from MFS.  Can UUNet now spam me to buy internet service?
   (Reminder, Worldcom owns MFS, UUNet, and many others.)

3) I buy a ford truck, can I now get spam to buy a Lincoln?

	I think you see where I'm going with this.  How far does a business
relationship extend?

--
Leo Bicknell - [email protected]
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440