Re: RBL quandry - opinions hereby solicited

  • From: Rodney Joffe
  • Date: Tue Nov 17 00:23:51 1998

Mike Reno wrote:

<snip>

> As
> most hosting providers leave the Organization information alone, anyone
> with a VALID reason to contact the owner of the domain could use snail mail
> or ask the information operator for the phone number.  If the owner of the
> domain has his/her number unlisted .... guess they want to be left > alone.
> NSI does use snail mail to send out invoices.  It's not as if these
> precautionary steps being taken are resulting in any serious problems that
> will bring the world to an untimely demise.  If the domain owner wants to
> move his domain, he can FAX an authorization to NSI on the Organization's
> letterhead.  That is a very common practice as domain owners are not in the
> habit of updating their contact records which results in a failure to
> approve modifications based on 'Mail From'.
>
> Business is business.

Mike;

I think there is a basic misunderstanding here about the basis of whois.
This is *not* netsol's database. Yet.

It is a database of contact information. I don't give a rat's ass who
the billing or admin contact for a domain or network is. I care about
the technical contact. If 'they' (or the collective we, actually) use
valid dns data, I'd even live with that. I have no problem using 'dig'.
But we all need a way to reach a 'responsible party' in the case of a
real problem.

We've been in the middle of a project that has been looking at whois
data, and dns data, to identify valid contacts for networks and domains.
Guess what? If it was even close to accurate you'd never see people
posting urgent requests to nanog asking if anyone has a good number for
xyz because there is an attack/failure/bogus announcement screwing up
others, and the listed contacts don't work. Go call Telco information,
and ask for a listing for the network operations center for any of the
networks, large or small, and I'll bet that you can't find a single
instance of a number that lets you reach a warm body who knows what the
hell you mean when you ask a network question.

Maybe someday Netsol will own the intellectual property in the .com .net
.org etc. databases. But for now they don't. And if they allow people to
register bogus data, they aught to be tarred and feathered. Not becauase
it is bad business practice, but it;s bad Internet practice. If the
problem is spammers, solve that problem. Don't get rid of the data we
all need. Or at least find an alternative (maybe I should work on
that... hmmmm?).

Sheesh, am I the only one who thinks valid contacts are important? I'm
sure that Sprint and MCI and GTE have good numbers for each other... but
wouldn't it be nice to be able to get to someone clueful at Exodus today
while these dns hackers are in the middle of whatever they're doing, and
track them down then and there? Whack-a-mole is fine for carnivals, but
on the net today, you have to whack-em-once. It's too expensive to just
chase them.

/rlj
CenterGate Research LLC