Re: RBL quandry - opinions hereby solicited

  • From: Dean Robb
  • Date: Mon Nov 16 22:33:17 1998

At 02:17 11/16/98 -0800, you wrote:
>The RBL team and I are kind of wondering what to do about some spam we got.
>Because blackholing NSI would be of operational concern to a lot of you, I've
>decided to ponder this question out loud:

Really, on this one, we're all pretty much screwed.  You can't blackhole
them because, as you say, there's nowhere else to go.  Normally, in the
spamfight, we'd go to their upstreams and complain and possibly cost the
spammer their connectivity...but who's going to disconnect InterNIC?

The really sad part is that there is no way to avoid this problem with NSI.
 The head cheese at Verisign is on the Board of Directors at NSI, so the
spam WILL continue.  There's no mallet we can hold over their head like we
could any other spammer because their connectivity is safe.

This is yet another example of the arrogance of NSI.  They well know how
the 'Netizens feel about spam, and they feel that the loosest of contacts
is sufficient to justify the spam (I've gotten it, and I don't have a
domain nor am I a contact for any domain...I'm just on their RS-TALK
listserv).  Yet they spam.  Blatant disregard for anyone but their own
greedy selves.

Sadly...they can get away with it because of who they are and the position
they occupy.  I actually pray for the day when someone supplants their
sorry butts...

Spammers should be investigated by Ken Starr!

Dean Robb
PC-EASY computer services
(757) 495-EASY [3279]