Re: Network Solutions on TV

  • From: Dean Robb
  • Date: Mon Nov 16 22:33:03 1998

At 10:03 11/16/98 -0800, you wrote:
>> 	This actually raises an operational concern.  A little
>> traceroute will show you that www.networksolutions.com and
>> the worldnic stuff are down the same pipes as the internic.net
>> stuff.  With the DNS problems of the past few days, one has
>> to ask, would "internic" activities have worked just fine if
>> Network Solutions had not been using some {small,large} amount
>> of the bandwidth for their other commercial activities.
>>
>> 	Not that I hold out any hope of the two activities using
>> separate facilities, but it would be nice.
>
>Such seperation is mandated by the latest Amendment to the Cooperative
>Agreement between the U.S. Government and NSI. However it doesn't have to
>occur for several months still.

I'm afraid I can't find that provision in any amendment to the Cooperative
Agreement as posted at http://rs.internic.net/nsf/agreement/.

However, Amendment 11 (7 Oct 98) is interesting because it mandates that
the specifications and milestones for the Shared Registry System be given
to the USG by 1 Nov 98 and that all the data accrued by NSI in it's
registration process be turned over to the USG by 7 Nov 98.

Have these provisions been effected?  Has the SRS been planned out yet?  NSI?

Spammers should be investigated by Ken Starr!

Dean Robb
PC-EASY computer services
(757) 495-EASY [3279]