Re: Hold on to your news servers

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Mon Nov 16 17:49:00 1998

On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 03:47:10PM -0500, Dean Anderson wrote:
> At 01:59 PM 11/16/1998 -0600, Karl Denninger wrote:
> >Uh, excuse me, but I don't have any affiliation with MCS nor do they have
> >anything to do with this service.  If you want to do nothing other than
> >piss them off or get thrown in their admin's "ignore this kook" list, go
> >ahead.
>
> Affiliation?  You get service from them. That's enough if you are sourcing
> this through that link.

That would be a cute trick, seeing as the link is an ISDN line.

> If you don't use this link for your news feed,
> then complaints ought to be dismissed. Properly so. I've got no bones about
> a truely personal link.

Well, a traceroute will pretty conclusively prove things there.....

> >Who I buy my *personal* service from is none of your business. Nor your
> >concern, since that *personal* service obviously can't be the source of
> >this.
>
> Ok, Fine. your MCS service is personal.  We'll be able to find out who is
> providing your commercial service once you get going.

Maybe. :-)

> >Besides, I've already told the world that I intend to colocate the servers
> >at various points around the country, and that I have offers from people
> >to do that - who are WELL AWARE of what I'm up to.
>
> "Well Aware" is not the same as "Good Judgement".  I'm sure a lot of people
> will be complaining to them soon enough. Hopefully, they are reading this
> list or other lists, and are reconsidering their offers.
>
> I think a lot of people hope you are reconsidering your plans to do this.
> It's a nice idea, and your motivation is good. It just won't work in
> practice.  So, in my nicest and most appreciative tone, I would like to ask
> you on behalf of myself and many people who are also appreciative of your
> efforts and your motives to reconsider and abandon this plan.

I'd be happy to abandon it if something that accomplishes the same job, or
substantially the same job, shows up before it goes online.

Karl Denninger ([email protected]) http://www.mcs.net/~karl
I ain't even *authorized* to speak for anyone other than myself, so give
up now on trying to associate my words with any particular organization.