Re: RBL quandry - opinions hereby solicited

  • From: Rodney Joffe
  • Date: Mon Nov 16 16:46:35 1998

Mike Reno wrote:

> WorldNIC will setup a domain without an email address using a bogus
> worldnic.com email address if the owner of the domain wishes to keep his
> email address private.  This is a practice all registrars should consider.
> And, since WorldNIC is another face of NSI, it would seem that this
> practice is well within their acceptable guidelines.
>
> Some ISPs also hide the true phone number by using a phone line at their
> facilities.

No. I think this is an extremely *bad* idea. I don't argue that the
issue of spam needs to be dealt with. But the registration of data like
email addresses and phone numbers is critical from an operational point
of view. These are needed when conatct has to be made because of an
operational failure. The purpose of whois data has become corrupt and
corrupted over the last couple of years, but we can't lose sight of it.

If you can solve the problem of accurate contact data for operational
failures, fine. Until then, the data has to be accurate, and useful. Not
bogus.

/rlj

CenterGate Research  LLC