Re: Journal of Internet Disasters

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Mon Nov 16 03:49:10 1998

At 10:20 AM 11/15/98 -0500, Deborah Ann Smith wrote:

>Sure, we have a responsibility to mitigate problems from up the pipe.
>
>But We as an industry and consumers need to start demanding - via writing
>to the congress people (They will read letters, not email- and they will
>listen if enough people contact them), complaints to the FCC and other
>involved groups - high standards of quality from the InterNic and other
>organizations that the Internet depend on.  We are essentially captive to
>their screwups, NO MATTER HOW WELL we prepare.
>
>Even the FAA recognizes no matter how good a flight crew, if they get
>incorrect information from the Tower, any problems that occur are the
>Tower's fault!

Ahem, I suspect that you're not a pilot. The last time I went through
ground school, the pilot has ultimate responsibility for the lives and
welfare of all aboard. This includes the responsibility to tell the tower
to buzz-off when it's obvious that they're wrong. Even in controlled
air-space, where control is heavily biased towards the tower, the pilot has
*final* responsibility. If someone dies, the pilot had better have been
there first or have a good reason why they're still around, to explain why
they're still around. If you're wrong, you had better be dead wrong.

Actually, I find your analogy very apropos. To our customers, their
internal systems are most important, after that it is their inter-facility
connections, *then* they consider their connections to everyone else. Some
of us handle their internal and inter-facility connections, as well as
their external connections. When the InterNIC fargs-up who do they call?
Are they going to understand? The bottom-line is that they don't care.
Failure costs them $cash$.
It is our job to shield our customers from this as much as possible. Those
of us who do, will have satisfied customers, vs. those of us who rely on
excuses.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
 Who is John Galt?