Re: Hold on to your news servers

  • From: Derek Balling
  • Date: Mon Nov 16 02:12:12 1998

At 10:33 AM 11/15/98 -0600, Karl Denninger wrote:
>On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 08:14:57AM -0800, Derek Balling wrote:
>> >This is a NEW service, operating on hardware which will be purchased
>> >specifically for this purpose by a non-profit organization set up
>> >explicitly to do this and other public-interest Internet-related things.
>>
>> How is making you the Lord High Executioner of Errant Binary Posts in the
>> public interest?
>>

>It is in the public interest to get both the copyright violations and the
>kiddie porn off Usenet.

So in YOUR opinion, it is in the public interest to enforce American laws -
or your interpretation of them - in countries that could give a damn about
our copyright issues and such? And you're going to do that by violating the
very fundamental tenet of the first amendment - by making you register
before you speak (or in this case post).

What you're saying is that if two people in country X (X being some
nameless country who either cares nothing about copyright laws, of which
there are many, or cares nothing about child pornography laws, of which
there are very few) are sending binaries back and forth to each other, then
if the news server they're on happens to be indirectly connected through
however many hops to YOUR news server, you're going to tell them they can't
do what their country's laws allow?

And yes, this is where you mention that "the ONLY people who see the cancel
messages are those who explicitly ask for them, yada yada yada" and this is
where, given that statement, I offer to sell you a moderately sized bridge
in the NYC area, because leaks happen. Leaks in Usenet are like the
dinosaurs in Jurassic Park - they happen, despite all your best efforts not
to.

Just make sure to remind anyone who peers with you who is either a
government entity or recieves government funds, that if they peer with you
they can kiss their federal money goodbye the day the ACLU gets wind of it.
The first amendment doesn't stop you from muzzling whoever you want, but
people who get government money CAN'T be engaged in that sort of thing. :)
(Prior restraint and such).

This is my last post on the topic, I'm officially giving up on you taking a
ride on the Clue Bus. You have a god-given right to be a moron if you
choose, please feel free to exercise it. Maybe we can all derive a
collective chuckle from watching you fall on your face.

Still trying to develop the Personal RBL,
Derek