Re: Is it time for an disruption analysis working group for the Internet?

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Sat Nov 14 11:59:26 1998

On Fri, Nov 13, 1998 at 07:38:12PM -0500, Dean Anderson wrote:
> In aviation and probably the power industry, there is sense (and a reality)
> that lives and property are at stake.  While the same may soon be true of
> the internet, there is still a perception that no one dies if the 'internet
> is down', and no property is destroyed though income is certainly lost.  So
> there is no compelling need to force people to cooperate.

So, if my company loses $5M because the net falls over, and I get
fired, and end up on the street, having lost my house, family, dog,
pickup truck, and beer, that's not important enough to prevent?

Got it now.

> Even the FAA's enforcement is for the most part pretty lassiz faire.  It is
> well known in aviation circles that FAA regulations are "written in blood",
> by analyzing accidents and developing a set of rules to avoid them. Failure
> to follow the rules may result in your own death, and possibly others.
> Death is a pretty severe penalty.  Many FAA enforcement actions are
> 'post-crash'.  The rules aren't there to satisfy the ego of a bureaucrat,
> and the penalties are enforced more harshly by nature than by the FAA.

Tell it to Bob Hoover...

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.