Re: Is it time for an disruption analysis working group for the Internet?

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Sat Nov 14 11:53:56 1998

On Thu, Nov 12, 1998 at 02:48:58AM -0600, Sean Donelan wrote:
> Craig, Randy, Jhawk stop reading here-----------------------------------

<chuckle>

> On the other hand, suppose instead of being very hard to reach I suddenly
> started returning reporters' phone calls promptly and telling them about
> this great idea I have to improve the reliability of the Internet.
> Eventually one will write a story about it, and maybe even get some
> decent coverage.  How high up do I have to shoot in order to get your
> CEO's attention?  Does it have to be the front page of the New York Times?
>
> Would that change the answer to the question above?

Yup.

Battle by press is a dicey game at best; you have to make _certain_
your press contact is knowledgeable enough to make the right points the
right way.  We _do_, however, have several participants here who seem
to have a clue, who also have ink.  I'm thinking of one in particular
who writes a column for InternetWorld (week?).  Although it's not
"mainstream" business press, those folks _do_ read the trades, too...

We're becoming a utility, folks; it's time to act that way.  It seems
to me that there's a niche market here for anyone with the capital and
inclination.  _All_ of the net doesn't have to be high-availability, as
long as the HA section replicates the right things.

Decentralization doesn't require anyone's permission.  And if we can't
survive a backhoe, how in _hell_ will we survive a pissed off Saddam
tossing nuclear SCUDs?

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.