Re: other network problems with hosts at internic.net (was: was i

  • From: John Gonzalez/netMDC admin
  • Date: Fri Nov 13 15:11:22 1998

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>[ On Fri, November 13, 1998 at 08:43:34 (-0800), Paul A Vixie wrote: ]
>> Subject: Re: was i asleep when the gtld servers had the worse problem today?
>>
>> for four days, tcpdump on my side shows behaviour consistent with lost ACKs;
>> pathchar from my side shows that A's first mile is a lossy 3Mb/s bottleneck.
>
>Just to add a little fuel to the fire:
>
>I've been experiencing TCP related connection failures from most/all
>hosts at internic.net, with at least whois and http (though not SMTP).
>
>For example when I attempt to do a whois I'll normally only get back the
>first two lines of output (i.e. "\nRegistrant:\n").  Then the connection
>hangs and times out.  From my point of view it seems that the connection
>has indeed been cut off.  The weird part is that this only happens for
>NetBSD-1.3.x hosts on my network.  BSDI BSD/OS 1.1, Ultrix, and at one
>point SunOS-4.1 hosts were all receiving complete output from whois
>queries.  It gets even weirder when I look at the tcpdump traces on the
>NetBSD-1.3.x gateway that connects my network to the next one up the
>stream shows that the packets are actually coming from the remote
>internic.net host, but they're not getting through the NetBSD routing
>code (i.e. I see the ACK come in on the ethernet interface, but not out
>the PPP interface).

I've been seeing the same thing on our linux boxen here. It's being going
on for quite some time. The sad thing is the connecting hangs there for an
extended period of time, but nothing ever comes through. I find that 1 out
of 20 whois attempts actually goes completely through. Someone on the
inet-access list mentioned that you can telnet into rs.internic.net and
get them that way, i havent tried that yet. I have found that anything in
the internic.net domain is just horribly slow to begin with anyways.

__  __ \ __ \  __/_  __ `__ \/ __  /_  ___/ MDC Computers/netMDC!
_  / / / `__/ /_  / / / / / / /_/ / / /__ (505)437-7600/fax-437-3052
 12:25pm  up 33 days, 15:54,  3 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.12, 0.09