RE: Journal of Internet Disasters

  • From: Eric M. Carroll
  • Date: Fri Nov 13 14:45:54 1998

I think this is an operationally relevant thread, so let me continue to tilt
at windmills here. I like your ideas (as usual) and I think there is a
executable idea here. I firmly believe something in this area is much, much
better than nothing, which is what we have now.

So, here's three communal options:

- constitute a mailing list for failure analysis, everyone pitches in with
or without assistance. The simple act of analyzing the options and possible
failure modes is of value (note the reaction from Paul to your mail
message - thus value is demonstrated!)
- constitute a closed mailing list, by invitation only. Ask vendors for
cooperation, and publish the results with the names removed to protect the
guilty and ensure their cooperation. Publish their names if cooperation is
refused.
- created a moderated digest list, IFAIL-D, and take input from anywhere,
but vet it through a panel of experts for analysis and publication. That's
basically your newsletter.
- create a real working group that meets and travels, and visits the vendors
in person. Perhaps they get badges eventually, or cool NTSB like jackets ;-)

So, I will jump into the pool if you will. Let's pick a model and try... The
point is, there is alot of expertise available. I think starting small,
involving experts, being professional, using volunteers and growing as
required is a model that has worked many times in Internet Land for some big
pieces of infrastructure. In other words, we need to prove the value before
people will pay for it. Have we acquired so much operational grey hair we
have forgotten our roots? (sorry for the pun).

Regards,

Eric Carroll