Re: was i asleep when the gtld servers had the worse problem today?

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Fri Nov 13 07:06:01 1998

> is it just me, or are people confused by the references to
> 	f.root-servers.net (Paul Vixie's machine)
> and
> 	f.gtld-servers.net
>
> which was also reported to have problems? I only read
> "F server" in this article, but there are two of those, and
> only f.root-servers.net is operated by  volunteers, f.gtld-servers.net
> is (AFAIK) operated by NSI...

three things.

1. there is definitely some confusion here.  my f (root-servers.net) was
   lame (which is not fatal to resolvers who query it).  NSI's f (gtld-
   servers.net) was insane (which was fatal to resolvers who queried it.)

2. my F is not a volunteer.  f.root-servers.net is a funded activity of ISC.
   if my F is "volunteer" than every nameserver everywhere is a "volunteer."

3. holtzman has some other axe he's grinding, this is all smokescreening.
   if i could just stop worrying about that, i could start being insulted
   by his wierd comments here and elsewhere.
--
Paul Vixie <[email protected]>