logical subnet overlaying...

  • From: Kyle D. Smith
  • Date: Fri Nov 13 01:33:47 1998

hello. I'm not sure if this is the right mailing list to ask, but I hope
that someone could possiably help..

I have a network with a cisco 2501 router running IOS 10.2(9), and we have
a block of addresses from our internet service provider (60 addresses,
206.206.162.128, start. with 1 for network, and 1 for brodcast)

we recently requested another block of 32 from our ISP, and they gave us
the following: 207.66.81.96, start...with 1 for network/1 for brodcast.

I asked a similar question on a mailing list before (not sure if it was
this one) and was told to login to the router, then:
router> en
pass:.....
router# conf term
router <conf> int e 0
router <subif> ip address existing_ip existing_subnetmask secondary
crtl-z
write

i tryed this, but it did not work. I also tryed replacing the exiting
ip/subnet with the new one... but that did not work either...

am i doing something wrong? or do i just need a 11.xx(xx) IOS	?
Any help would be greatly apreciated. thanks.

  -Kyle Donald Smith
  -Systems Administrator
  -Community Internet Access, Inc.
  [email protected]