Re: [fjk].gtld-servers.net bogus for .com

  • From: Dean Robb
  • Date: Thu Nov 12 01:39:31 1998

At 17:53 11/11/98 -0800, you wrote:

>[fjk] do _not_ serve domain names starting with [fjk].  All servers serve
>all names.  Without knowing more, what you experienced could have had any
>number of causes.

Ah, thanks for the lesson.  This is why I like NANOG even though I'm not a
network guru.  I learn more about how the 'Net works all the time from here.

>I don't know when people first were aware of this, and I would hope some
>were aware before I complained ~1000PST and NSI should have been aware
>right away when it happened, since if they don't have automated checking
>of each server that has a very high notification priority they are even
>worse than stupid, so I'm somewhat doubtful it started at midnight.  But
>it is possible.  NSI does make it hard for anyone who may notice it to
>contact them.

That would have been around the right time...I had a few domains that were
dead when I tried them around 11pm EST and a ton of them that died after
midnight Eastern.

>false negatives.  I know of three that were like that, and have had
>reports of more.  Anyone asking one of those servers would be incorrectly
>told the domain doesn't exist.

That's exactly what I was seeing.  One moment they were there, then when
next I tried to get a page, it was gone..."Cannot connect to server".

Thanks again for the instruction, O Wise One!

Spammers should be investigated by Ken Starr!

Dean Robb
PC-EASY computer services
(757) 495-EASY [3279]