Re: ARIN?

  • From: Joseph T. Klein
  • Date: Wed Nov 11 14:58:01 1998

Phil et al.

Perhaps I'm off base here, but I thought this was the concept of
using shared whois.

"The first step in this process is to verify the utilization of at least 80%
of the prior allocations. The methods available to show this utilization are
SWIP and RWHOIS for ISPs who have assigned addresses to their clients."

If you have a FreeBSD system you can install rwhois from the ports
collection. See below for example output.

Phil Howard wrote:

> Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
.. trimmed to save bits.
> Perhaps a better solution is a distributed SWIP database.  Perhaps a SWIP
> record can be added to DNS to indicate the name of the server to query for
> detail information by network.  It would then co-exist along side the PTR
> records.  Appropriate SWIP lookup clients would resolve for SWIP data in
> the in-addr.arpa space and then query that server (or servers) for the real
> data about the network in question.
>
> IPv6 will probably force the issue, anyway, since it opens the door to
> what will at least today be a nearly infinite address space.  Try putting
> that on few terabytes of Oracle.

Example random query:

monet# rwhois 207.10.12.0

Referral Whois (RWhois) spec version 1.0 (InterNIC V-1.0B5)

Connecting to [root.rwhois.net] port [4321]  -> client default server
network:Class-Name:network
network:Auth-Area:0.0.0.0/0
network:ID:NETBLK-SPRINT-CF0A0F.0.0.0.0/0
network:Handle:NETBLK-SPRINT-CF0A0F
network:Network-Name:SPRINT-CF0A0F
network:IP-Network:207.10.8.0/21
network:IP-Network-Block:207.10.8.0 - 207.10.15.0
network:Org-Name:Nysernet/Monroe County Boces #1
network:Street-Address:41 O'Connor Rd.
network:City:Fairport
network:State:NY
network:Postal-Code:14450-1327
network:Country-Code:US
network:Tech-Contact;I:JP29.edu
network:Created:19960116050000000
network:Updated:19960116153537000

network:Class-Name:network
network:Auth-Area:0.0.0.0/0
network:ID:NET-SPRINT-CF0A00.0.0.0.0/0
network:Handle:NET-SPRINT-CF0A00
network:Network-Name:SPRINT-CF0A00
network:IP-Network:207.10.0.0/16
network:IP-Network-Block:207.10.0.0
network:Org-Name:Stellar Communications,Inc
network:Street-Address:460 State St
network:City:Rochester
network:State:NY
network:Postal-Code:14514
network:Country-Code:US
network:Tech-Contact;I:TS905.COM
network:Created:19960122050000000
network:Updated:19960123012455000

network:Class-Name:network
network:Auth-Area:0.0.0.0/0
network:ID:NETBLK-NETBLK-SPLK-NYNET3.0.0.0.0/0
network:Handle:NETBLK-NETBLK-SPLK-NYNET3
network:Network-Name:NETBLK-SPLK-NYNET3
network:IP-Network:207.10.0.0/16
network:In-Addr-Server;I:NS310-HST.NET
network:In-Addr-Server;I:NS311-HST.NET
network:In-Addr-Server;I:NS312-HST.NET
network:IP-Network-Block:207.10.0.0 - 207.10.255.0
network:Org-Name:NYSERNet
network:Street-Address:200 Elwood Drive
network:City:Liverpool
network:State:NY