Re: ARIN?

  • From: Jeff Mcadams
  • Date: Tue Nov 10 16:04:51 1998

Thus spake Owen DeLong
>I think this misses the point.  ARIN doesn't require or want you to SWIP
>your /30 and /32 allocations.  A network that small just doesn't require
>that level of public contact visibility.

I think you missed his point though....with NAT/PAT technology.../30 and
/32's from ISP's can indeed provide a whole corporate network with
access (small corporate...not exactly Fortune 500 here, but you get the
idea)...I second his point on this.  We've got quite a few customers
that are feeding whole networks with /32's...even providing web servers
and mail servers via these NAT/PAT boxes that are available now.  Just
stating that the network only has one or two Internet available IP
addresses and therefore its too small to be of significance is
short-sighted at best.  Many of these /32's for us have their own web
administration, mail administration, and other local administration of
many of their services.  They use a single IP as almost an inherent
firewall.  Indeed, I have one customer that uses one of the NAT/PAT
boxes to actually not have IP on their internal network at *ALL*.  The
box converts the TCP/IP to IPX/SPX...bizarre, but it works well for
them.  Anyway, they run their own mail server on this setup, and we do
very little administrative functioning for them...DNS is it in this
case.

>As you've pointed out, you'll
>be doing most of the things that matter (from a contact perspective)
>for those customers.  As such, it makes sense to use your larger block
>contact information instead of SWIPing such small networks.  In fact,
>I'd rather see ARIN move the SWIP requirement back to /26 or so.

Put my vote in for allowing up to /32's.
--
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email protected]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848