Re: ARIN?

  • From: Dan Watts
  • Date: Mon Nov 09 21:32:59 1998

At 01:43 PM 11/9/98 -0500, you wrote:
>There should also be no objection for listing all assigned /30 networks.
>I'm not talking about dial-up users -- but fully routed dedicated
>customers using only a /30 or more.  I *WANT* to see these networks in
>whois lookups!  These listings should be *required*.

I second this.

One thing I would dearly love to see is support in client rwhois
implementations for referrals.  Today, if I query the root rwhois
server at rwhois.net, I don't end up with a clear answer as to who
the network block has been delegated.  I have to manually try and
find the rwhois server [if any] for the smallest block returned, and
see if there are further delegations being made.

At Vitts, we're attempting to document in our rwhois server, every
network assignment we make. This includes the /30's. We have a handful
of 1 IP customers that are connected to the Internet using a router
running NAT or firewall software. It makes it easier for us to have
a standards based way of identifying the owner for every IP address
we manage.

Dan

--
Dan Watts