RE: FCC Ruling, Cost of Internet

  • From: Christian Kuhtz
  • Date: Sun Nov 08 11:00:59 1998

.. if I may add my $.02..

If the FCC rules that calls to ISP's are interstate and therefore
inter-LATA, it would mess up a whole bunch of regulatory stuff --
IMHO.  RBOCs can't sell inter-LATA access as their own.  The only way
it can be sold is by a third party doing the actual inter-LATA
connectivity.   The boundaries of what is inter-LATA and intra-LATA
are getting so blurred, it is time for the FCC to do away with all
this garbage.

To me, this is an artificial life-support for a regulatory system
which is far outlived its usefulness.  It shows that the traditional
telephony based wisdom has expired.  Exisiting settlement models are
antique and more modern ways of defining clearinghouses for
connectivity cost arbitration are needed badly.

I leave the final judgement of what this means to the lawyers, of
which there are plenty in this matter.

IMHO, the current CLEC revenue model is obscene with regards to recip
comp.

This is my personal opinion and I speak for myself only.

Cheers,
Chris

- --
Christian Kuhtz <[email protected]> -wk     [email protected] -hm
Sr. Network Architect, BellSouth Corp., Advanced Data Services
NOTE: "We speak PGP: key available at well-known key servers."
            "Turnaucka's Law: The attention span of a computer
             is only as long as its electrical cord."
                                         -- /usr/games/fortune

Of
> MacFarland, Chris
> Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 1998 9:40 PM
> To: Steven J. Sobol; Ivars Upatnieks
> Cc: [email protected]
> Subject: RE: FCC Ruling, Cost of Internet
>

> Steven-
>
> The reason for this is regarding settlement charges ( reciprocal
> compensation ) for intrastate calls from ILEC to CLEC.
> If the FCC rules that calls to ISP's are interstate then the
settlement
> model dramatically changes for the LEC terminating
> the call.  This would have a significant impact on revenues for
> CLEC's that
> use recip comp as part of their core business model.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris MacFarland
> Director, Data Engineering
> Allegiance Telecom, Inc.