Re: ARIN?

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Sat Nov 07 14:53:15 1998

At 11:36 AM 11/7/98 -0600, Phil Howard wrote:
>Gary E. Miller wrote:
>
>> My local cable company, Bend Cable, gives out static IP with RoadRunner
>> service.
>>
>> I also know several folks on @Home in Fremont, CA, that have static
>> IP addresses.
>
>Our dedicated accounts get static, as I am sure is the case with most ISPs.
>Non-dedicated can get static only for a fee.  The rate structure starts at
>$8 for a /32 and goes up to about 25% above the ARIN fee for address space.
>The customer must also assert why they need it.
>
>I just wish I could swip the /30's, /31's, and /32's we give out, to ARIN.
>We're putting in more NAT and proxy boxes for businesses and are doing more
>networks smaller than /29 these days.  Yet ARIN still encourages us to use
>a /29 when a /32 would do.  I'll probably swip the /29 containing them as
>just a commentary saying something like "contains /32 assignments" when I
>get my network database going.

What this means is that ARIN is restricting the DNS management. If you have
less than a /29 then you are not allowed to manage your own domain-space
without a handler. That handler is the ISP. To be honest, most of our /29's
are too clueless to handle DNS, in fact most of them are Microsoft-only
LANs whom I don't trust DNS to anyway. I have yet to see a BIND port to any
version of Windows, with resolver library, that worked. Gotta have a Unix
box in the LAN somewhere in order to do that ( and a bunch else besides).
Most of our /29's cann't even spell Unix.

I take that back, I was just informed that we have some Apple-talk and
Novell LANs as well.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
I bet the human brain is a kludge.