Re: ARIN?

  • From: Rich Sena
  • Date: Sat Nov 07 07:07:59 1998

On 7 Nov 1998 [email protected] wrote:

> All of the cable modem subscribers I know have dynamic IPs assigned by
> DHCP.  A suitably aggressive DHCP client can usually keep the lease
> renewed so the IP doesn't change, but they are most certainly not
> static IP addresses.

Yep most I know are DHCP - but it is more of a feeble attempt to stop ppl
from running web servers and it eliminates the install techs from having
to do as much configuration.  But for the purposes of address stewardship
- there is no savings of address space in this scenario - they are up 24x7
and if they loose their connection they usually come back up before they
lose their lease.  So for the purposes here - they are statically
addressed.  ARIN's dynamic address requirement is intended for the
purpose of address conservation - not for ease of configurtion.

--
I am nothing if not net-Q! - [email protected]