Re: ARIN?

  • From: Brandon Ross
  • Date: Sat Nov 07 00:23:37 1998

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Andrea Di Lecce wrote:

> At 10:40 11/5/98 -0500, Brandon Ross wrote:
> >> Looks alot like /14 & change. That would be 256K plus delegated - 210K
> users
> >> Hey, your right, not a bad packing ratio.  Hows yours?  :)
> >
> >How's 2 /16's & change, 128k addresses - 455k users.  I think I win.  (In
> >an effort to fully disclose, about 20% of those users are on wholesale
> >dialup providers).
>
> Cable modem subscribers normally are not dynamically assigned IPs like
> dialups.  Besides, they are advertised as a constant connection, and a lot
> of people use it as such.

And I have a whole lot of dialup users that would love to have a static IP
so they can more easily run servers and such.  Several years ago when our
users were staticly addressed, ARIN requested that we move to dynamic
addressing.  Why do my users have to be dynamically addressed but @home's
do not?

I do want to let everyone know that I really don't have any problem with
@home.  They're a business like any other, and I would do the same thing
if I had the opportunity.  The point here is that we did not have that
opportunity, we were forced to use dynamic addressing while @home was
basically given enough address space to statically address their users.

Brandon Ross            Network Engineering     404-815-0770 800-719-4664
Director, Network Engineering, MindSpring Ent., Inc.  [email protected]
                                                            ICQ:  2269442

Stop Smurf attacks!  Configure your router interfaces to block directed
broadcasts. See http://www.quadrunner.com/~chuegen/smurf.cgi for details.