Re: ARIN?

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Fri Nov 06 08:14:12 1998

On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 02:49:19AM -0500, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, I Am Not An Isp wrote:
>
> > However, they are under a greater burden than your traditional ISP.  Most
> > of the equipment they were forced to use in the "early days", and possibly
> > a good deal of it today, is not what I would call "optimal".  They are
> > forced to allocate /24s to some cable routers no matter how few customers
> > there are on that router.  Most do not understand classless IP, or even
>
> So can I qualify for my own chunk of space (I'll be nice and only ask for
> a /16) if I use RIP and can't subnet?  I find it hard to believe ARIN
> would buy "but my routers won't let me subnet" as justification for
> address space.

That argument only works for *some* people Jon.  As you can see (it apparently
worked for @HOME!)

Try it and let us know if it works for you :-)

Karl Denninger ([email protected]) http://www.mcs.net/~karl
I ain't even *authorized* to speak for anyone other than myself, so give
up now on trying to associate my words with any particular organization.