Re: ARIN?

  • From: cjw
  • Date: Thu Nov 05 13:09:26 1998

Yo Gary...

@Home does not have a /8.  Perhaps you should work just a little
bit on your facts...

---CJ

    From: "Gary E. Miller" <[email protected]>
    Subject: RE: ARIN?
    Yo Patrick!

    On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, I Am Not An Isp wrote:

    > I do believe you are correct in your implication that @Home does not
    > utilize address space quite as efficiently as most traditional ISPs.
    > However, they are under a greater burden than your traditional ISP.  Most
    > of the equipment they were forced to use in the "early days", and possibly
    > a good deal of it today, is not what I would call "optimal".  They are
    > forced to allocate /24s to some cable routers no matter how few customers
    > there are on that router.  Most do not understand classless IP, or even
    > basic subnetting.  Etc., etc.
    If I downgrade my routers, do you think I can use this on my next
    ARIN application?   I would have been embarrased to try it even
    when they got their address space.

    > The point is, the people I know at @Home do try very hard to use their IP
    > space within reason.  But there are some things they just can not do.
    I have no complaint with the people, I am just jealous.

    BTW, their October 13, 1998 press release says they have 210K users.
    Their /8 has 16,777,216 IP addresses give or take a few hundred
    thousand.  Not a bad packing ratio...

    RGDS
    GARY
    Gary E. Miller Rellim 2680 Bayshore Pkwy, #202 Mountain View, CA 94043-1009
            [email protected]  Tel:+1(650)964-1186 Fax:+1(650)964-1176