RE: ARIN?

  • From: I Am Not An Isp
  • Date: Thu Nov 05 04:18:08 1998

At 12:11 AM 11/5/98 -0800, Gary E. Miller wrote:

>I think you need to take a serious look at how little of their
>address space they have really used.  This is not funny when I have
>to kill to allocate /30.  Some animals are more equal than others
>on THIS farm.

I know a little bit about @Home, but not as much as the people who work
there, so feel free to yell & scream if I mess this up.

I do believe you are correct in your implication that @Home does not
utilize address space quite as efficiently as most traditional ISPs.
However, they are under a greater burden than your traditional ISP.  Most
of the equipment they were forced to use in the "early days", and possibly
a good deal of it today, is not what I would call "optimal".  They are
forced to allocate /24s to some cable routers no matter how few customers
there are on that router.  Most do not understand classless IP, or even
basic subnetting.  Etc., etc.

The point is, the people I know at @Home do try very hard to use their IP
space within reason.  But there are some things they just can not do.

There are two sides to every story.  (Well, almost every story.... ;)

>Gary E. Miller Rellim 2680 Bayshore Pkwy, #202 Mountain View, CA 94043-1009

TTFN,
patrick

I Am Not An Isp
www.ianai.net
"Think of it as evolution in action." - Niven & Pournelle