BSDi TCP Headers

  • From: Jonathan A. Zdziarski
  • Date: Tue Nov 03 13:49:42 1998

  After dealing with packeteer for about a week regarding our latest
problems, we finally were able to find the root of the problem; several
other customers as well as myself all share one common thread; we all are
experiencing crawling slow transfers with BSDi (when using the
packetshaper).  I tried it from a solaris machine on the same network, and
transfers immediately picked up.

Packeteer did some sniffing, and it appears that BSDi "breaks" the HTTP
protocol, and we suspect it's doing the same thing with FTP (as that's
where I'm having my problems).  It's most likely the way it writes TCP
headers rather than the protocol itself (i.e. apache isn't the one at
fault).

I've got an open issue with packeteer about it, they're trying to come out
with a hack for their code to work with BSDi machines, but in the meantime
it would be a better idea to solve the problem at the root and find out if
there's anything the BSDi folks can do to explore/patch this problem.

Is anyone else having similar problems w/BSDi and TCP Transport?

Thank you,

Jonathan A. Zdziarski
Sr. Systems Administrator
Netrail, inc.