Re: Xedia vs Packeteer Comparsion

  • From: Christofer Hoff
  • Date: Fri Oct 30 17:14:41 1998

Matthew:

What version of code are you running in your 4000 -- I see no such latency
issues nor packet drop and we regularly push 20+ Mb through our boxes...
sits between a Cisco 75xx and Catalyst 5000 Switch.

Are you using the same cable/cables when you place the packetshaper
in the network vs. when it is out?  Also, have you looked at the CLI for
the NIC stats?

Chris

At 02:35 PM 10/30/98 -0600, matthew zeier wrote:

>I've been using the Packetshapper 4000 and have been having terrible
>performance when I consistantly push out 20Mbps+.  The pshaper4k sits
>between my edge router and my backbone FE switch (so all traffic goes
>through it).
>
>Withouth going into too much detail, when the box inline with power on
>(and shaping on or off), I get about 10% packet drop and anywhere from
>20ms-1000ms delay going through that box.  If I power it off or take it
>out of the picture, problem goes away.
>
>I've hit some limits because before I was consistantly above 20Mbps, the
>box worked very well.  I've had the tech guys take a look at it and they
>did mention I was hitting some hard limits.
>
>- mz
>

>On Fri, Oct 30, 1998 at 09:25:16AM -0800, bcurnow wrote:
>>
>> I'm doing such a comparison right now..
>>
>> Here are the things I am concerned about:
>>
>> Xedia:  Does T3/ATM interfaces and routes
>> Packeteer: Bridge Ethernet only.
>>
>> Xedia: 600 individual profiles
>> Packeteer: 4096 (I think, double checking that with them)
>>
>> Xedia: Doesn't need two routers
>> Packeteer: Since it only bridges, it has to be between two intelligent
>> devices.  I don't think looping it out and back to the same Cisco would
>> work.
>>
>> Since I need more profiles, I am leaning toward a Packeteer.
>>
>> If anyone else has notes, I would like to hear them.
>>
>> ----------------- Brian  Curnow ----------------
>>
>> On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Michael Gibson wrote:
>>
>> > I wonder if anybody one there has had experience with both xedia and
>> > packeteer and would let me know what the strengths and weaknesses was of
>> > each
>> >

>> > Michael Gibson
>> > Team Leader, Network Operations - Netcom Canada
>> > Telephone: 416-341-5751  Fax: 416-341-5725
>> > [email protected]
>> >

>--
>matthew zeier -  "Chance is irrelevant - we will succeed." - 7 of 9

                ,,,
              (o-o)
Christofer L. Hoff, CCSE      \  No true genius is
Chief Nerd & Packet Pusher  \  possible without a
NodeWarrior Networks, Inc     \  little intelligent
                                             \  madness!
[email protected]                \
http://www.nodewarrior.net         \ -Peter Uberoth
"Nuthin' but Net!"                        \
       310.568.1700 vox - 310.568.4766 fax