operational: cisco atm edge switches/devices

  • From: Kevin Brown
  • Date: Fri Oct 30 01:33:25 1998

Greetings,

I am looking for anyone who might have dealt with this in the past.  I
currently engineer an ATM network (in first phase of deployment).  The main
switches deployed are from Fore systems.

The agencies that are going to connect have specified that all edge devices
must be from Cisco.  In preliminary provisioning stages (at which I was not
a party to) it was decided that the 3900 and 2820 tkr and eth switches
would be deployed with ATM uplink modules.  Unfortunately, in the lab, I
have found that neither switch is capable of defining multiple PVCs over a
single PVP.  Likewise the intention is to create multiple elans over these
pvcs to allow agencies with multiple sites to extend their internal LANs to
the remote sites.

I have yet to come up with a doable solution. The optimal solution would be
contained within a single chassis (preferrably with swapable LAN modules).
If by chance the same device would be capable of doing some L3 (BGP)
routing, that would also be a plus factor.

Has anyone done this?  Which devices?  Got any technical documentation I
might review?