Re: Rootshell pages hacked

  • From: C. Harald Koch
  • Date: Thu Oct 29 15:45:46 1998

In message <[email protected]>, "Adam D. McKenna" writes:
> They claim they were running only qmail, apache and ssh, but who knows if
> that's true.
>
> I have heard rumours about an ssh exploit but nothing concrete.

I know of some interesting sites that were hacked into "using ssh" recently.
The trick is to attack the SSH *client* machine, and them take advantage of
things like a running ssh-agent and existing authorized_keys files to connect
to the server host using the existing (valid) trust relationship. This isn't
an SSH bug, merely a standard side effect of distributed trust.

--
C. Harald Koch     <[email protected]>

"It takes a child to raze a village."
		-Michael T. Fry