Re: Linux router (don't laugh)

  • From: Joe Shaw
  • Date: Thu Oct 29 04:42:40 1998

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Studded wrote:

>       Right. FreeBSD is now MUCH better than linux, instead of just a little
> better.

Better?  Performance is relative based on implementation.  How many
platforms does FreeBSD support?  NetBSD and OpenBSD both support tons of
platforms other than X86, as does Linux (the linux port to SGI appears to
be the strongest SGI port so far).

<disclaimer>
This is not directed to you specifically, but to the free UNIX-like
operating system supporters around the world.
</disclaimer>

It never ceases to amaze me how all the people who use free UNIX-like
operating systems must beat their chests and badmouth other operating
systems.  I run several different flavors of UNIX and UNIX-like operating
systems at home and work.  I've got IRIX 6.3, Solaris 2.6, Linux, OpenBSD,
and FreeBSD.  So far the most flaws I've found in the free operating
systems are the characters of the people who write/contribute/support
them, not necessarily the operating systems themselves.

So you want to run *BSD?  More power to you!  Same with Linux!  But
could we please all put our johnsons away, zip up, and get on with
something more costructive than arguing whether BSD is better than Linux?
There are drivers and documentation to be written and new features to be
added.  Making petty jabs as to which OS is "better" just wastes time.

Linux has definitely come a long way in it's short life, and does a hell
of a lot compared to an operating system with roots in PDP systems whose
code has been around as long as it has.  They both have their place, they
both work well in a lot of the same instances, and the both don't put a
dime in Microsoft's pockets [I dislike Microsoft mostly because of their
business practices and very few of their products are actually good.  We
can define "good" somewhere else]. For the record, I personally like both
*BSD and Linux.

Discussions about OS superiority don't belong on NANOG, so let's take this
someplace else, please.

Joe
JAFO