Re: Linux Router KIT

  • From: alex
  • Date: Thu Oct 29 02:30:29 1998

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Matei Conovici wrote:

>  > Lots of types interfaces? EIGRP? Things that Linux/PC does have is Hard
>  > drives that fail, etc; I guess you could do a flash thing, though. Other
>  > protocols, like IPX, Dec, ATalk, etc are not going to happen.
>
> Will you please point out other router than cisco which has EIGRP ?

My point exactly.

> What kind of interface do you want ? You have async (multiport
> async), sync, ethernet, fddi and now atm is coming. BTW, do you get
> arcnet with cisco ? :-)

HSSI?

> IPX and appletalk have been there for a _long_ time.  There is also a
> Linux DECNET project.

Great, another *project*.

>  > Also, for a long time, Linux had a hard time with lots or routes.
>
> Define lots. You want full BGP table in a PC router ? Why :) ?

Isn't that the crux of the conversation here?

> *shit. You have no clues. Linux was better at networking than BSD
> even in 1.2.x days ...

Heh. Ok. (as in, *yeah right*).

> All the limitations of the Linux/PC router are due to the PC hardware
> architecture. As seen on the list, people put 8 cards in the same
> PC. This exceeds the bus speed of a PC. Even a single 100Mbps NIC
> kills the PCI bus in most PCs should it run full speed. Also, you have
> to be very carefull with the NIC you choose.

Thus, omre reason to not use a PC for routing..

This was hashed and rehashed not to long ago on some mailing list
(inet-access?)... Whay again?

> PCs simply were not built for forwarding packets and fast I/O.

Again, thanks for agreeing.

> Of course a Linux/PC will never beat a cisco :-) but the cost is
> sometimes an order of magnitude lower for roughly the same
> performance.

Not since the 2600 and 3600 have been released.

   ISPF, The Forum for ISPs by ISPs.  October 26-28, 1998, Atlanta, GA.
    Three days of clues, news, and views from the industry's best and
    brightest. http://www.ispf.com/ for information and registration.

     Atheism is a non-prophet organization. I route, therefore I am.
       Alex Rubenstein, [email protected], KC2BUO, ISP/C Charter Member
               Father of the Network and Head Bottle-Washer
     Net Access Corporation, 9 Mt. Pleasant Tpk., Denville, NJ 07834
 Don't choose a spineless ISP; we have more backbone!  http://www.nac.net