Re: Linux Router KIT

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Wed Oct 28 17:28:28 1998

Actually, dollar for dollar, the linux box will outperform the cisco.  What
the cisco gives you is much simpler access to the knobs that make the bells
ring and whistles blow.

At 04:26 PM 10/28/98 -0500, you wrote:
>So does linux.
>
>Linux can be:
>
>A packet forwarder (router)
>A packet filter (firewall)
>An IP masquerading packet filter (NAT firewall)
>Can run RIP, BGP, EGP, OSPF (via gated)
>
>Maybe I'm being naiive here, but what does Cisco offer beyond this (besides
>the availability of higher performance)?
>
>--Adam

-------
John Fraizer                      |    __   _
The System Administrator          |   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __ | The choice
mailto:[email protected] |  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / |  of a GNU
http://www.EnterZone.Net/         | /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\ | Generation
                     A 486 is a terrible thing to waste...