Re: root name servers

  • From: Phil Howard
  • Date: Wed Oct 28 10:00:01 1998

Jay R. Ashworth writes...

> On Tue, Oct 27, 1998 at 08:29:43AM -0800, [email protected] wrote:
> > > anybody knows the physical location
> > > of all root name servers, or a pointer ?
> > Is it really important?
>
> The sort of person who wants to know this is roughly the same sort of
> person who is interested in knowing that the AT&T Startum 1 clock is in
> Hillsboro MO.
>
> You know: geeks.  :-)

OTOH, some of us don't care about those root servers because we already
know where our own root servers are.  All but one of my DNS servers are
grass roots servers.  You can take down all the root servers, and if that
didn't also take out the TLD (e.g. .COM, .NET, .ORG, .GOV) servers, then
I won't notice it much (except to wonder why there is a dropoff in my
load on smtp and http).

BTW, knowing where the main root servers are topologically is probably
more dangerous than knowing where they all are physically.  And that is
information most everyone already has.

--
  --   | Inturnet, Inc.              | Director of Internet Services |   --