Route Leaks

  • From: Jeffrey S. Young
  • Date: Tue Oct 27 17:47:13 1998

It would seem that the routes that leaked into the routing system
with an AS path: origin 3561 286 209... are mostly withdrawn and
now under control.  There may be a number of routes that persist
and we feel that the best way to clear them out is to concentrate on
them
on a case-by-case basis.

The (Cisco suggested) workaround to quickly remove these routes
even though they have been withdrawn from BGP at their insertion point
is to announce more specifics from the origin AS.  Rather than burden
the
routing system with additional, unnecessary more specific routes from AS

3561, we would like to hear from other providers or from the owners of
these routes.  If you're seeing routes with the above AS path or if your

network is currently routing through this path please contact us.  You
can
send mail to [email protected] to coordinate.  If you choose to copy nanog
that's ok.

Now,  that said.  This particular problem has plagued the Internet,
hitting us
as a community a number of times this calendar year.  On the nanog list
we've
discussed filtering, we've pointed out how particular providers are
unaffected,
but as yet we are all still vulnerable.  The Cable & Wireless network
filters routes
from customers based on routing registry entries.  We believe that this
is the
best defense against unintentional routing leaks, it protects us and our
peers
from our customers.  We realize that not everyone in the industry agrees
with
us :-).  We realize that many that agree with us would find it nearly
impossible
to implement such a system.

I'd like to propose a simple solution to the class of route leak we've
recently seen.
I'd like to encourage our peers to put a simple filter in place.  If you
peer with AS
3561, please do not accept any route with AS 3561 in the path from
either your
customers or your other peers.

We already do this for a number of networks, without commenting on the
size or importance of any of them, they are just networks that we only
expect
to hear on specific peering links.

I still believe that the way to a more stable routing system is through
route registries
and filtering.  I don't believe that any of us can rest easy (whether or
not our
networks were affected by the current leak) until we fix the system.
For my own
selfish interests, please, filter on my AS number.