RE: Clue's for Clue-less

  • From: Martin, Christian
  • Date: Mon Oct 26 17:06:12 1998

I agree that core stability is of utmost importance, but by randomly and
somewhat unilaterally denying prefixes without verification of the
validity of their origin...Hmm, lets see...AS 1 sending the 4.0.0.0
netblock across a direct peering point, but it get's nicked because of
max-prefix, so it comes across through a multihomed downstream and all
of a sudden, sorry little multihomed downstream is carrying 200 Megs of
BBN transit.  Oops!

I would think that the only thing that this command protects is routers
with slim memory profiles.  Core routers should let the BGP decision
process clean the routes, although I do get scared when 10,000 new
routes appear over the weekend.  After this weekends fiasco, I can see
your reasons, though.  Maybe RSNG is useful after all...

Chris