Re: Actions to quiet the Smurf amplifiers?

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Fri Oct 23 22:53:33 1998

On Wed, Oct 21, 1998 at 12:40:14PM -0700, Erik E. Fair wrote:
> I also don't think it's such a hot idea to be universally filtering
> "n.n.n.255" without explicit prior knowledge of the netmask of the network
> involved. Apple Computer, for example, used a 14 bit subnet mask on net 17
> and we used every address in the 10-bit host space that was available to
> use with that scheme, including the three where the last octet is 255. Make
> certain that all your customers know that you're doing this - otherwise
> they may be puzzling over why connectivity works from every address in
> their net number, except for one or two...

I was one of the participants in the last war on this topic here, and I
feel the need to point out that I read him as saying he _ingress_
filtered 255, not egress filtered it.

He can be expected to know if his own internal network has any non
broadcast .255's, I'd think.

(He wasn't a reseller, was he?  :-})

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.