Re: Wireless LAN access in Atlanta

  • From: James McKenzie
  • Date: Fri Oct 23 17:51:39 1998

 I worked with Breezecom radios for a year.  I never had an ethernet
compatibility issue.  All devices and adapters should work fine.

 It's important that you know what type of radio you will be hooking up to.
an SA or a WB.  SA's are single host devices, you would run a straight
10BaseT cable between the SA and your ethernet Card/Adapter.  The WB's are
bridges, you would use a hub or if your on a one-to-one relationship use a
cross-over cable.

 If your using the SA's and you change your ip or the ethernet adapter
plugged into the SA you should power cycle the SA as it will continue to
try to serve only the IP/Mac Address it first saw on power up.

  James

At 11:40 AM 10/23/98 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>The NANOG 14 web pages says that 802.11 wireless LANs will be
>available in the hotel.
>
>A review of 802.11 PCMCIA cards in Communications News found that only
>the BreezeCom and Raylink products would inter-operate.
>
>There is no indication of the manufacturer(s) of the units so that we
>can bring compatible cards. It does say that additional information
>will be posted the week before the show, but I'll already be on the
>road setting up the networking for SC98 in Orlando, so it will be too
>late to make sure I have an appropriate card.
>
>R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
>Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
>Ernest O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab)
>E-mail: [email protected]			Phone: +1 510 486-8634

 James McKenzie
 [email protected]
 http://www.1ipnet.net