Re: Wired News on Backhoe Troubles

  • From: Adam Rothschild
  • Date: Tue Oct 20 22:46:16 1998

Now, here's an innovative use for a backhoe.  Amazing what NANOG
participants do with their farming machinery after hours.

http://oblivion.net/news/980905al.html

        Alabaster, AL -- Alan Cost could have just suspended his son's
   driving privileges after the boy got his third speeding ticket and
   stayed out way too late. Instead, he suspended his son's pickup truck
   -- in a tree.

         There's a sign in the vehicle's window: ``This is what happens
   when a teen-ager does not mind.''

         And in smaller letters it says: ``May be for sale.''

         Cost used a backhoe to hoist the back end of 16-year-old
   Stephen's 1986 Chevrolet pickup truck several feet in the air, and
   used a chain to suspend it from a tree in front of their house along
   one of the Birmingham suburb's busiest roads.

         That was on Aug. 29 and it'll stay there, where all of Stephen's
   friends can see it, for another week or so.

         ``I hate being that rough on my boy, but if he ain't going to
   listen to me, I have no other choice,'' Cost said.

         The three tickets all came within three months after Stephen got
   his driver's license. After the second ticket, Cost chained the truck
   to a tree in the back yard for about a month and a half.