Who do we appreciate...?

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Tue Oct 20 22:15:36 1998

This seemed pertinent...

-----Forwarded message from RFC Editor <[email protected]>-----

To: [email protected]
Subject: RFC 2468 on I REMEMBER IANA
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 12:19:23 -0700
From: RFC Editor <[email protected]>

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

	RFC 2468:

        Title:	    I REMEMBER IANA
	Author(s):  V. Cerf
	Date:       October 1998
        Mailbox:    [email protected]
	Pages:      4
        Characters: 8543
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None
        I-D Tag:    None

Jon, our beloved IANA, is gone.  Even as I write these words I cannot
quite grasp this stark fact.  We had almost lost him once before in
1991.  Surely we knew he was at risk as are we all.  But he had been
our rock, the foundation on which our every web search and email was
built, always there to mediate the random dispute, to remind us when
our documentation did not do justice to its subject, to make difficult
decisions with apparent ease, and to consult when careful
consideration was needed.  We will survive our loss and we will
remember.  He has left a monumental legacy for all Internauts to
contemplate.  Steadfast service for decades, moving when others seemed
paralyzed, always finding the right course in a complex minefield of
technical and sometimes political obstacles.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.
This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email protected]  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email protected]

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email protected] with the message body
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example: