Re: Is ripe allocating /24's?

  • From: Edvard Tuinder
  • Date: Tue Oct 20 05:28:59 1998

On .nanog you wrote:
>A provider has made the claim to me that RIPE is allocating /24's
>addresses to various European providers.  Is this true?  What affect
>does this have on providers with prefix-length filters?
>
>Or is this provider just mis-reading the RIPE allocation database.

I think he is misreading the allocation database. The minimum allocation
size used to be /19 and will become (or is) /20 to facilitate smaller
providers. A /24 will not be allocated.

What may be the case is that when you get *assigned* a /19, you're not
allowed to use it without RIPE's knowledge. During your first own assignements,
you'll have to ask RIPE for approval. But that does _not_ imply that you're
not allowed to announce the full block (which is even specifically noted
in the doc's, it's just that you're not allowed ot _use_ (or re-assign)
anything.

-Ed
--
Edvard Tuinder
Cistron Internet Services		Finger [email protected] for PGP key