Re: Actions to quiet the Smurf amplifiers?

  • From: Phil Howard
  • Date: Mon Oct 19 14:06:28 1998

Dan Hollis wrote:

> The last site I dealt with took _3 weeks_ to close their amplifiers once
> they were notified. And this was a multimillion dollar publishing company.

Wow, you sure get them to act quickly!  How did you manage to get a big
monstrous behemoth like "corporate america" to move that fast?  :-)

Solving technical problems does requiring a couple things.  The first
is the technical background to know what the problem is and how to deal
with it.  Usually the big corporations do have at least someone that
knows this.  The second is to get management approval.  And managers do
not understand things like smurf.  They do understand things like lawsuits,
and other financial incentives.  In a few cases they can understand things
like "we won't be able to communication with a large segment of customers
due to being blackholed" when someone explains it to them in terms of $$$.

--
  --   | Inturnet, Inc.              | Director of Internet Services |   --