Re: SONET ring questions

  • From: David Greer
  • Date: Fri Oct 16 11:55:13 1998

Peter,

3) Which routers should be used.  The options are 3com NB-II's DPE+
   (dual CPU), Cisco 7200 series, or Cisco 7500 (each router will
   have at least two 100Base-T LAN ports).

If you are going to use Cisco which is a good choice, do not go cheap and
get a 7200 for the job.  A 7200 can only handle three fast ethernet ports.
I would look at the 7500 series or possibly there gigabit router series.
That will give you enough muscle to handle the job.  I would call in your
local Cisco office to check out which model is most appropriate.

>1) Bell Atlantic assures us that, because of the redundancy, we can
>   expect 100% uptime from the OC-12.  I would like feedback as to
>   whether this is a realistic portrayal of the SONET environment.

Nobody gets 100% uptime from anything.  Can't happen!

>2) We have the option of using either single-mode or multi-mode fiber
>   OC-3 connections - what factors should be considered in selecting
>   the fiber media type.

Look at the distance, I believe multi mode is only good for a couple of
miles, then you have to go single mode, which will drive your costs up.

I hope this helps!

Dave Greer
Senior Telecomm Analyst