Re: IGPs in use

  • From: Paul Ferguson
  • Date: Fri Oct 16 07:22:41 1998

At 12:48 AM 10/16/98 -0400, [email protected] wrote:

>IGP wise, EIGRP is easy and fast and it works. If ou need a *lot* of
>interoperability, use OSPF.

Not that I want to perpetuate this thread, but I did want to add at
least a couple of observations.

One of the reasons why I *like* OSPF is that it somewhat forces you
to build your network within a set of architectural constraints. You
can't just plug boxes together in a haphazard fashion and expect it
to work efficiently -- in order to scale, one needs to partition the
network into areas, etc. Ditto for IS-IS.

On of the reasons (methinks) why many people like EIGRP is that they
can sidestep a lot of architectural planning, plug stuff together in
virtually any haphazard manner, and it generally just does the right
thing. Of course, I'm not really fond of this approach, but there seem
to be a lot of people who are. And, of course, the efficiency depends
greatly on how things are plugged together, and how address allocation
is done throughout the network (for auto-aggregation), but for the most
part, people can just slap stuff together, build a really sloppy network,
and it will still hobble along.

Like I said, just an observation.

- paul