Re: Carpet?

  • From: Alex Bligh
  • Date: Fri Oct 16 06:14:30 1998

Charles,

> This is a bit off topic, but I'm sure someone here has opinions to
> share...
>
> I'm looking for carpeting for the area outside of a machine room that
> won't cause the "shuffle your feet and shock yourself" phenomenon.  I
> noticed most datacenters I've seen are carpeted up to the entrance without
> any ESD problems.  Is there special "anti-ESD" carpet?  Where might I find
> it?

There is some UK folklore that if you rub fairy liquid (though I guess
any washing-up liquid will do) into carpet-tiles they lose the above
attribute.

Alternatively you can get carpet tiles which are conductive for this purpose
(I think they have small amounts of metalized fibres woven in). Don't know
where from.

--
Alex Bligh
GX Networks (formerly Xara Networks)