Re: SONET ring questions

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Fri Oct 16 06:07:35 1998

At 05:35 PM 10/15/98 -0700, Tony Li wrote:
>[email protected] (Peter Polasek) writes:
>
>> This interface is extremely mission critical to the point
>> that a 99.9% uptime will not be acceptable.  I have the following
>> questions:
>>
>> 1) Bell Atlantic assures us that, because of the redundancy, we can
>>    expect 100% uptime from the OC-12.  I would like feedback as to
>>    whether this is a realistic portrayal of the SONET environment.
>

>How many significant digits do you consider acceptable?  Even in an ideal
>APS environment, link failure detection and protection switching does take
>finite time.  You might get 99.999% uptime, but probably not 99.9999999%.
>
>Methinks that you've been subjected to Marketing.  ;-)

For total system uptime
90.0% (one nine or less) Desktop systems.
99.0% (two nines) Intermediate business systems
99.9% (three nines) Most business data systems and workgroup servers
99.99% (four nines) High-end business systems and your friendly
neighborhood telco
99.999% (five nines) Bank Data Centers and Telco Data Centers, some ISPs
99.9999% (six nines) Only God and Norad live here.
99.99999% (seven nines) Even God doesn't have pockets this deep.

There is a matching exponential cost increment with each step.
Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
I bet the human brain is a kludge.