Re: IGPs in use

  • From: Chrisy Luke
  • Date: Mon Oct 12 19:07:44 1998

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Ben Black wrote:

> I would say BGP is an exterior gateway protocol and using iBGP as an IGP is
> unwise.  Much like posting to nanog when you have no clue.

Hm. How do your multiple border routers pass routes between themselves,
then? Is that not, by definition, an IGP? Simply because it doesn't have to
worry about which "random sized network that might or might not move" goes
where doesn't exclude the validity of it's IGP status. I don't know of any
other protocol that carries BGP data as an IGP (AS Path, MED's etc) in a
way suitable for re-export.

Moreover, many people do use it as their sole or predominant IGP,
particularly where convergance time because of failure isn't an issue and
adjacancies don't need to be built using an LSA model (ie, lack of
network or administrative complexity).

Chris.
--
== [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
== Systems Manager for Easynet, part of Easynet Group PLC.