Re: Discussion point: Telco quality?

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Sun Oct 11 13:49:53 1998

On Sat, Oct 10, 1998 at 07:32:01PM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
> > What WILL bring down the whole house..:
>
> my favorite was the one byte change to the switch code which took out a big
> chunk of the country.

Are you referring to the 4ESS SS7 cascade crash of several years back,
Randy?  I seem to recall that that was more than one character.  Couple
of lines.

Now, there _was_ a one character problem in a FORTRTAN program that
killed a space probe...

The Neumann and Lee books are quite good references on this, albeit the
Lee book is a touch sensational.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.