SUMMARY: IP allocations, renumbering, and RFC 2050

  • From: Scott Gifford
  • Date: Thu Oct 08 16:28:05 1998

  Much thanks to all who responded.  I seemed to get a pretty consistent
response from everybody who replied: Your Milage May Vary.  Some people had
had no problem with getting renumbering time, some people had had tons of
problems.  Some people said MCI had been very reasonable, some said that CW
changed their policies.

  At any rate, once I knew I wasn't being that unrealistic, I emailed the IP
allocation people at MCI, and got this response (which they asked me to post
back to this list):

> Scott,
>
> This is the correct email address for such requests. The only problem
> being the length of time you are requesting. Our normal policy is to allow
> 15 days which can be extended to 30 days. Of course this all depends on
> the number of addresses and types of applications that require
> renumbering. Please send all the information regarding this request to
> include circuit ID's of both customers to [email protected] Also I would
> like to know who you talk to at Cable & Wireless that gave you the
> impresssion that we were unwilling to work with our customers. Please do
> me a favor and spread the word on all the mailing lists that are bashing
> us right now that we will negotiate a reasonable time for renumbering for
> any customers that leave Cable & Wireless (with emphasis on reasonable).
> Thank you.

(I have omitted the name and telephone number of the technician that sent
this response).  So it sounds like our customer just talked to a butthead
salesperson who didn't want them to know what they could do.

Thanks again,

--------Scott.