Re: Sprint's filtering

  • From: Jeremy Porter
  • Date: Thu Oct 08 00:39:02 1998

This does not reconcile with my memory of the Dec 97 Airn AC meeting,
while the AC can only recommend, there was discusion of longer prefixes
and the issue was raised would ISPs relax filtering, and someone
that either worked for sprint or had worked at sprint in the past, did
indicate to the members of the AC that were present, that Sprint would
be open to talking about changing filters to reflect allocation policy.

Sane allocation policy is one of ARIN's missions, and it is completely
within the scope of ARIN to notify ISPs of the minimum prefix length
allocated.  It is up to the ISP and only the ISP to set the filter
policy.

I don't like the wording of Scott's statement, but it is technicaly correct.
Filters are only part of ARIN's mission when they are related to allocation
policy, and it would be pointless for ARIN to change policy
if it was not coordinated with various ISPs that filter.

In message <[email protected]>, Scott Bradner writes:
>it was said
>> I have been told that ARIN did make an effort to have Sprint remove its
>> filter so that ARIN could allocate blocks longer than /19, but I have not
>> confirmed this with ARIN.
>
>this is not true - ARIN has not, nor will it, ask an ISP to add or delete
>any filters - dealing with filters is far outside of ARIN's mission
>
>ARIN has discussed changing alocation policies but this did
>not include asking Sprint or anyone to change their policies
>
>before I get asked-  changes to ARIN policies are posted on the ARIN web site
>

>Scott

---
Jeremy Porter, Freeside Communications, Inc.      [email protected]
PO BOX 80315 Austin, Tx 78708  | 512-458-9810
http://www.fc.net