Re: Where do you stand?

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Wed Oct 07 23:45:37 1998

At 04:20 PM 10/7/98 -0400, John Golovich wrote:
>What would you do in this case?
>
>You are contracted by an accounting firm and as a favor to them
>you provide email redirection, pop accounts, web redirection, and
>web space to their clients at no charge.
>
>Your company is the one who registers the domain name and pays
>for it.  In fact the domain name isnt in the name of the company,
>but is in fact in the name of your company.
>
>All of a sudden the individual stops dealing with the accounting
>firm.  Out of the blue, without any contact you receive a notice
>showing domain modifications.
>
>After perfoming 15 months of free service they dont even bother to
>call to tell you they are transfering the domain name they paid for.

The key is who paid for it? When MHSC registers a domain, for someone else,
we put it in *their* name in the first-place. But, we also only carry the
primaries until they can get their own set up. We will carry secondaries
for almost anyone.

The bottom-line is that they don't have to notify you other than as a
courtesy. That you were comping them other services is irrelevent. It
creates no compulsion/obligation on their part, towards you. Incentive,
maybe. But, not obligation. Yes, it is rude on their part. But, that's
about all.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
I bet the human brain is a kludge.